Monday, May 12, 2014

The Power of Inspired Questions



By far one of the weirdest moments on my mission. We teach English Class every week on Thursdays.. and we only had 1 student there.. And at the same time we were about to go in to teach.. 2 of our investigators come in wanting to be taught!... So we were in a bit of a predicament... But then we thought... Well... How bout you (Elder W teach English Class... and I'll just be in the back and teach our Investigators... So we tried it out... Hahaha. It was sooooo hard. I relied on the Spirit the whole time... but a miraculous end result to our lesson... We set 2 baptismal dates with them for May 17th!.... They're both really solid too! They are referrals from our most recent baptism of C. 


It's amazing and incredibly humbling to have someone trust you as a missionary.. This past week we have been trusted so much.. not only by the Lord but by members!.. And the cherry on top was an email I just received from a previous member in one of the Wards I served in.. she's currently serving a mission and sent this to me: 

"It was so wonderful being able to learn so many things from you. 
Reaching out to the missionaries I think
at times can be difficult but what I learnt most importantly is trust.
Trust comes from seeing missionaries working hard, bearing their
testimony, the spirit that they radiate, so many things. But you were
one of the missionaries that I truly trusted. I think that comes the
same with giving referrals. I've been striving to become a missionary
of whom people can trust. I want the Lord to be able to trust me with
His children, to know that anyone He sends my way will at least have
the opportunity to feel of His spirit that must mean I am always
prepared. Gaining the members trust is key in this work and I think
that is something you definitely have down haha :)"

So whenever we receive spiritual promptings or an assignment/calling or perhaps a person in our circle of friends that we can share the gospel with.. We need to first immediately acknowledge that God trusts us. And second give gratitude to Him for that great trust!.. That goes along with the question you asked of my fav. talk in General Conference... THEY WERE ALL SO AMAZING!!!!! One that especially stuck out to me just for my situation as a missionary... was President Uchtdorf... Are you sleeping through the Restoration?.. What experiences can you share to contributing to the Restoration?.. Or will you merely be an observer... For if we have a sense of urgency to carry out this great work.. Trust will come! 

We had an investigator named J.. He's been super super good... UNTIL we taught him the commandments.. He straight up lost his desire for anything!.. We always thought Drinking was his biggest concern.. because that's what he portrayed.. But we dropped him for about a month.. called him up later and scheduled another lesson... IT WAS BREAK THROUGH!.. We for real witnessed him receive personal revelation right in front of us.. He said.. "you know what.. Maybe my faith was not being strengthened because I wasn't putting it in Jesus Christ... I think my major concern I don't know how life will be after baptism compared to now... my commandment concern is just minor"...

My companion and I just looked at each other like.. (OH MY GOODNESS CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS RIGHT NOW? OH PLEASE! HELP!!!)

It was amazing! It's truly a testament that as we teach clear, powerful doctrine.. they will be able to ponder.. Then the Spirit.. The Testator of Truth.. will come into their hearts.. We then committed him for baptism on May 17th!... To say the least... May 17th is going to be a really good day =D... We just have to help them all maintain positive experiences!

We went on priesthood trade offs with a ward member because we had MCM and a lesson at the same time. So I went with the member to teach this Recent Convert who is recently Less Active :( .. But she agreed to meet with us and I knew nothing about her. So we started off by introducing ourselves and we sang a song and said a prayer.. Then I was sitting there... and I asked her to share with us the reason she wanted to follow Christ... she opened up a bit but I could tell by her countenance and just discerned she was holding something back... and so I asked afterwards.. "What is difficult for you at this moment in your life?" ... And it was amazing to see her reaction... She looked down and said.. "Thank you..".... And she opened up every thing that was holding her back from full activity... And we then sat there and set goals for her and how she could overcome certain temptations and be fully active!.. 
It never ceases to amaze me how much we really do need to rely on the Spirit... we as a 'natural man' often fall into complacency of thinking we can do things on our own... It's easy to feel the Spirit and have the mindset... 'I want to ALWAYS rely on Him'...  But the real test is when that feeling is gone... what is your motive now?... Will you rely on your own strength?... or the Spirit of Him that created you?... 


No comments:

Post a Comment