Monday, June 9, 2014

What I've learned on my mission


"The first miracle you will witness in the mission field is the miracle of your own conversion." This is what Elder Pearson said my 2nd week in the MTC. After hearing that I first thought to myself, "That's absolute rubbish, the reason we're coming on missions is to convert others!" Now having only 1 week left, I know what he means.

Over the course of my last 23 months I have learned lessons that I would not have learned if I didn't serve a mission. This is truly getting a glimpse of what it means to have your own personal ministry. Take a journey with me to see a portion of what I've learned on my mission:

I have learned Section 121:33-46 is not a recitation, it is a lifestyle.
I have learned anger is a poison you drink hoping your enemy dies.
I have learned having a good attitude is a choice.
I have learned when you ONLY email good things home you will have an increase of optimism.
I have learned transfers and companions are inspired of God.
I have learned diligence without passion is vain diligence.
I have learned to reprove someone without love creates enemies.
I have learned on the flip side, to reprove someone with love creates eternal friendships.
I have learned charity, patience, understanding etc. are spiritual gifts you can pray for.
I have learned humility starts by Always Remembering Him.
I have learned family is the most important social unit in time and all eternity. 

I have learned when we make ourselves willing and available, miracles happen.
I have learned that when we acknowledge God's hand in such miracles, MORE miracles happen.
I have learned a righteous desire coupled with exact obedience allows us to realistically accomplish the impossible.
I have learned to NEVER say no to a calling. ALWAYS say yes.
I have learned the mission can go as fast as you want it to by working.
I have learned to not worry about what I cannot control.
I have learned to never forfeit my family from the blessings that come with faithful missionary service.
I have learned this mission is not my 'Best 2 Years' but merely a portal to the best years Heavenly Father has in store for me.
I have learned that there is no such thing as 'too far gone'.
I have learned when we fail to plan, we plan to fail.
I have learned pride destroys people and damns the progression of that soul or people.

I have learned the best missionaries I've ever seen, struggle for a time and come out triumphant.
I have learned people who have made more mistakes have a great gift, empathy.
I have learned the Lord regards our sacrifice/commitment more than numbers.
I have learned if every one prayed for understanding, a lot of heart ache would be avoided.
I have learned a missionary without a vision ALWAYS struggles the most.
I have learned on the flip side, a missionary with a vision is on higher ground to lift those in need. 
I have learned silence is affirmation.
I have learned communication is EVERY THING within a companionship.
I have learned if you show genuine gratitude, people are willing to do more for you.
I have learned when you go home you won't remember numbers but instead NAMES.
I have learned that His words are sure and shall not fail us.

I have learned that I will not know any better than I do now, that: 
Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. Truly He was the Son of God.
The Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion and my testimony. 
God the Eternal Father does all things out of unconditional love.
Prophets and Apostles have restored priesthood keys on the earth today.

Elders and Sisters, this mission experience is not 100% to convert others. It is to convert YOU, the missionary. The Lord is investing these 18-24 months in you so that you can go home and be a kingdom builder. You will have your own unique set of "I have learned.." statements. The real test is whether you stay true to what you have learned on your mission when you go home. The Australia Sydney North Mission led by President and Sister Howes under the direction of Christ our Master is my Sacred Grove. I will continue my ministry when I go home and reflect on my mission experience every day of my life. I will weary my friends and my family with my mission stories. I add my voice to Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, "I loved my mission as I am sure no young man has ever loved one before or since." I testify of these things and will continue to do so until I draw my last breath. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment